Guest Conservation Activity
Get out in nature on foot and give back!
Volunteer an hour of your time to help remove invasive Black Wattle from the reserve
11 am Daily, meet at Reception
Pack sunblock and a hat and get out on our Wattle Conservation experience where our passionate team will explain about the biodiversity of our beautiful region and illustrate how best to preserve it. Nothing like getting active on Safari!
In a nutshell, what is Wattle?
- Black wattle is the most widespread invasive alien tree in South Africa
- Serious infestations occur in the higher rainfall regions of our country
- Black Wattle commonly invades many forms of indigenous vegetation developing into dense evergreen thickets
- It requires constant management as these thickets can suffocate our natural vegetation and we could suffer major biodiversity loss
- Wattle is also a water intensive vegetation and strips our landscape of its natural water reserves if left unchecked
- We are all custodians of our natural environment and we can all contribute to the health of our natural resources, and have fun doing it too!